About the Internet
About Web Browsers
Why Domain Names
HTML vs XHTML
Making Webpage Files
Naming Webpage Files
About HTML Tags
Basic HTML Page
DTDs and Doctype Tags
Spaces and New Lines
Bold, Italics, More
Comments in HTML
How to Add Images
Sources of Images
Image File Formats
Color in HTML & CSS
"Web-safe" Color Chart
Formatting with Tables
Intro to CSS
Ways to include CSS
Some Useful CSS
CSS Hover for Links
Web Resources List
Official Specifications, Recommendations, Standards
the current official "rules" of the protocol, if such things interest you.
for XHTML, HTML, CGI, etc.
- the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)
- See what the people who make the standards are up to.
- Current state of XHTML and HTML
- according to the W3C.
- the Common Gateway Interface
- specs etc for creating CGI programs... from NCSA
Return to Top
these sites will check your web page for errors and cross-platform accessiblity
- W3C HTML Validation Service
- Free validator from the people who made the rules. Is your code correct?
- W3C CSS Validation Service
- If your HTML or XHTML is right, then they'll also validate your CSS.
- CAST: Bobby
- this program validates HTML and checks your site for accesibility.
- Web Design Group's HTML Validator
- Another validator you can use. this site also provides information on Doctype specifications
which are needed for the validators to know which standards to validate you against.
Return to Top
Style Guides / Design articles / User Interface
- Yale Style Manual
- Comprehensive style manual explaining good and functional web design.
- 10 Sites that Bite
- SitePoint article that shows you how to "Learn from the Mistakes of Others" by showing 10 examples of sites that made avoidable mistakes.
- 10 Deadly Web Site Sins
- Ten potential website design problems, and how to avoid them.
- Web Pages that Suck
- "Enter here to learn good design by looking at bad design"
- Usable Web
- Organized collection of articles on usability issues
Return to Top
Directories of Web Resources
these sites are each a goldmine of tutorials, hints, and links to
lots of useful information and tools.
- Articles, tutorials, forums about almost every aspect of web design and promotion. Not much about graphics, but a lot about coding - HTML, CSS, PHP etc. This is one of my favorite sites on these topics. Best email newsletter too.
- Web Reference
- Articles, tutorials, news about upcoming techonologies. Home page is ugly, but lots of information. Useful graphics tutorials. Subscribe to the newsletters and they'll tell you what's new and interesting on the site.
- Lissa Explains
- Teenager explains to kids how to make basic pages, and spice them up with some tricks.
- Project Cool
- Basic tutorials in HTML from
- CNET Builder.com
- CNET's Builder is probably the most comprehensive collection of articles.
- Big Nose Bird
- Silly name, useful contents... html tricks, free scripts, graphic sets
- Guides to HTML
- Well organized bunch of links on various web making topics
- the WWW Virtual Library of WWW Development
- "A comprehensive illustrate encyclopedia of web technology."
- the HTML Writers Guild: WWW Resources
- Sites their members recommend.
- HTML Goodies
- Mostly tutorials and how-to do tricks.
- HotWired: Webmonkey
- Online magazine of web design
- Volition(TM) Free Stuff for Webmasters
- Mostly a compilation of links on various web mastering topics.
Return to Top
Finding a Web Host/Getting a Domain Name/Redirection
- HostIndex.com - June 1999 Top Web Hosting Companies
- Index of web hosting companies, you can search for one that has the
features you need.
- Free Web Space
- A directory of Free web hosting sites.
- checkdomain.com - Check international domain names
- V3 Redirect Services
Return to Top
Graphics - Sources, Information, Optimization
- GIF Animation on the WWW
- Finding animated gifs, where to get the software to make your own, other tips.
- Some Sources of ClipArt
- Color Pallettes and Tools
- Graphic Optimization tools
these links let PC users see what some common Mac fonts look like, and what the font size differences between PCs and Macs are like.
the 2 pdf files seem to work better in Netscape than IE.
CGI Script Archives and Remotely Hosted CGIs
- Remotely Hosted CGIs
- If your host won't let you install CGI or if you don't want to learn how
to do it yourself, you can still add some cgi functionality to your site by
by adding a link to the CGI on their site. Chat, counters, guest books, more.
- CGI Resource Index
- the rest of their listings. Some scripts have user ratings.
- Matt's Script Archives
- A much used collection of free CGI scripts
- Cliff's Perl Script Collection
Site Promotion, Search Engines
- Search Engine Watch: News, Tips and More About Search Engines
- Search engines: lists of them and how to get listed in them.
- Busy Marketing
- Many how-to promote your site articles. Her list of search engine submit sites is more complete and may be more up-to-date than this one.
- The add URL page for my favorite search engine.
- Netscape Search - Add Site
- this is a directory site. they want you to recommend your site, from the
page with the category it belongs in.
- Excite add your URL
- Lycos Add Your Site
- Submit your site to Direct Hit
- Exchange-it - Free Banner Exchange
- Show other people's ads in return for them showing yours. One of many such
Tools - HTML editors, FTP, and Graphics programs
- NoteTab: Award-winning text/HTML editor
- Lightweight, cheap or free, HTML text editor.
- Arachnophilia Home Page